I’m a teacher/writer/trainer who’s a little obsessed with weightlifting and languages and progressive politics and TV shows of questionable merit. I have a beautiful girlfriend who lives an ocean away from me (for now) but we’re making it work. I usually post in English but I speak Japanese and French in my daily life (I teach Japanese and French at a local university and coordinate a semester abroad program for students from Japan), and I also speak Chinese, Spanish, Portuguese and Italian (result of a life spent —so far—traveling/living many places and being a linguaphile) so you may see posts in those languages as well.
If you’re new to this blog, you may want to know a little bit about what you can expect to find and not find here, so here we go…
What you WILL find:
- Pictures of me. Because I’m vain, and I like having a log of my progress.
- Fitness articles, links, and videos galore.
- My completely unvarnished opinions about god damn near everything.
- Swearing. Not every other word, but a fair amount. I find the word fuck deeply amusing.
- Quotes by my favorites philosophers and others.
- Occasional political posts. If you were going to peg me as anything it would be left-libertarian. I firmly believe in freedom, but I even more firmly believe that my rights end where yours begin, and that we are all in this together.
- Occasionally long winded articles full of dense language.
- Lots of pictures of food. I fucking love food.
What you will NOT find:
- Lots of fitspo pictures of others. Just not my style. I’m not saying there aren’t some physiques I find inspiring, but in the main I want to be my own fitspo. That’s just me, though. Your mileage may vary, and that’s totally cool.
- Anything that can even remotely be considered pro-ED. Uh-uh, hell most emphatically to the no. I have very strong feelings about not encouraging self-destructive behavior.
- The words “nigger” or “faggot” or any form thereof. I don’t care if you’re being “ironic.” I don’t care if you’re doing it to show you don’t give a fuck. I don’t care if that’s how you learned to talk on the misc. forum at bodybuilding.com. I don’t care if you have a Black or gay friend and you think they’re totally OK with it. All of that is between you and your conscience. The fact of the matter is, too many people have died violent deaths with those words ringing in their ears, and that is why you will not find that kind of language on here. U mad, bro? There’s the door. Peace.
- Nonsense of any stripe. You know what? Telling someone who’s morbidly obese that they’re perfectly healthy isn’t “body acceptance”, it’s dangerous enabling! You know what else? Telling them they’re a fat cow who’s going to die without taking a step back to consider the many MANY factors that go into obesity isn’t BAMF tough love, it’s shrill, simplistic, bullying. We all got our shit. We all have to own it. But we don’t need to rub each other’s noses in it. Not all honesty is brutal. In fact, the most effective honesty often isn’t.
That’s about it. You want to know something else about me? Ask. Ciao :-)